CPB™ Medical Billing Course
Prerequisites: Knowledge of medical terminology and anatomy recommended.
Clock Hours: 80 (Note: 80 clock hours accounts only for time spent in the course lecture and practice Lab, and does not include time spent outside the course or study time. Study time will vary widely per individual.)
Course Length: To be completed at student’s own pace within a 2-month period or less. Enrollment date begins at date of purchase.
Certificate of Completion Issued: Yes
Course Description: This course introduces the student to health insurance and reimbursement. In this course, the student will become familiar with the health insurance industry, legal and regulatory issues, and differences in reimbursement methodologies. The student will learn principles of medical billing related to proper claim form preparation, submission and payment processing, and the follow up process. This course is recommended for anyone who is preparing for a career in a medical billing department at a physician's office, clinic, or similar positions. This course is strongly recommended for anyone who is preparing for AAPC’s CPB™ certification exam.
- Review an introduction to healthcare from a medical billing perspective.
- List a variety of health insurance models and how they affect medical entities.
- Understand the legal regulatory considerations involved in health care reimbursement and collections.
- Explain the process of a physician-based insurance claim including obtaining patient data, claim form completion, insurance carrier processing and payment received.
- Demonstrate the ability to use the three major coding manuals, CPT®, ICD-10-CM, and HCPCS Level II, and apply medical necessity standards.
- Explain the follow up process for A/R in a physician’s office, including the top denials by insurance carrier along with their appeals process.
- Introduction to Healthcare
- Health Insurance Models
- Patient Registration Process/Data Capture
- Introduction to ICD-10-CM Coding
- Introduction to CPT® Coding
- Introduction to HCPCS Level II Coding
- Medical Necessity
- Claim Forms (CMS-1500 and UB-04)
- A/R and Collection Concepts
- Government Carriers (Medicare, Medicaid, and TRICARE)
- Blue Cross/Blue Shield
- Commercial Insurance Carriers
- Workers’ Compensation
- Final Exam
Methods of Evaluation:
The instructional methods used include reading assignments, practice exercises, practical applications, interactive video/audio lectures, chapter review tests, and final exam. To receive a certificate of completion, students must successfully complete the course within the allotted time frame of 4 months or less (monthly extensions may be purchased).
Successful course completion includes:
- An attempt of all required quizzes and practical application assignments
- A passing score of 70% or higher on all chapter review exams
- A passing score of 70% or higher on final exam
- An overall final course score of 70% or higher
No reduced hours in the course or tuition discount for previous education or training will be granted.
Included Reading Material:
- Medical Billing Training: CPB™ 2018; AAPC; AAPC publisher (available online only in PDF format, no textbook will be issued with this course)
Required Textbooks (Not Included):
- CPT® Professional Edition code book (2018 year), AMA publisher
- ICD-10-CM code book (2018 year), any publisher
- HCPCS Level II Professional code book (2018 year), any publisher
Required code books may be purchased through AAPC or any major bookseller.
Recommended Textbooks/Supplies (Not Included):
- Medical dictionary, any publisher
Computer Requirements: High-speed internet connection with LMS supported Operating System & Web browser; Adobe Flash Player; Adobe Acrobat Reader. For best experience, use of a mobile device is not recommended.
Course Enrollment Fee: A fee of $ 99.00 must be paid in full at the time of registration. The fees listed do not include the required or recommended textbooks or computer requirements, which the student must purchase separately, or the costs of the AAPC Certification.
The CPB™ Exam
- 200 multiple choice questions (proctored)
- 5 hours and 40 minutes to finish the exam
- Open code book (manuals)
- 1 free retake to be used within one year of first of attempt
- $160 Membership to AAPC is required to take any AAPC examination *
- $380 Cost Exam *
*not included in the cost of the course
Our programs are flexible and so are our payment options. Choose the one that works best for you.
- Not included in the cost of the course
- 160 Membership to AAPC is required to take any AAPC examination
- $380 Cost Certification Exam
Interested in learning more?
If you want to find out more about the program or talk about the payment options available to you, get in touch with us at 786-360-2666 or request information online. http://mrdcenter.com/